2023 Championship Workout Rules
To be considered for a podium position, athletes must adhere to the following rules:
Burn & Bench (5 minute time cap)
- The event will consist of two elements: a stationary Echo Bike sprint and a 1-rep-max bench press.
- Each athlete will stand next to their respective Echo Bike with no contact. Upon 3-2-1-GO, the athletes will move to their bikes and complete 21 calories.
- After completing 21 calories, the athlete will immediately move to their individual bench press station and establish their 1-rep max with whatever remaining time is available. Each station will already be set up with the weight the athlete has chosen for their first attempt.
- Bar must make physical contact with the athlete’s chest (sternum) without bouncing off to create momentum.
- Athletes may use a grip no more than 6 inches outside the shoulder and no more than 3 inches inside the shoulder. Wide-grip attempts will be disqualified.
- A belt can be worn, but no lifting jacket or straps of any kind.
- 2 spotters will be present at all times during the lift.
- Spotters can assist with re-racking the bar after a successful lift.
- Spotters may not touch the barbell during lift-off or at any time during the lift unless the barbell is no longer moving up or is starting to move back down toward the athlete’s body.
- After each successful lift, the athlete will direct the spotter on what new weight they want. Athletes are advised to have a preset lift plan to minimize time lost to the plate-adding process.
- Men will use a 45-lb bar and women will use a 35-lb bar.
- Athletes can make unlimited attempts within the allotted time.
Grace Workout (10 minute time cap)
- Athletes will complete 30 clean and jerks for time.
- Men will lift a 135 lb. barbell and women will lift a 95 lb. barbell.
- Athletes must achieve a full lockout (arms & legs) at the top of the lift.
- If the bar is dropped, athlete cannot catch the bar on the bounce.
Sprint Murph (40 minute time cap)
Sprint Murph Format
- 800-meter run
- 10 rounds of
- 5 pull-ups*
- 10 push-ups
- 15 air squats
- 800-meter run
- Only strict pull-ups are allowed.
- Palms must face out, chin must clear the bar at the top of each pull-up, and arms must be fully extended at the bottom of each pull-up.
- Banded pull-ups are acceptable with a weight assistance of no more than 70 pounds, but your finish time will be placed after other competitors who performed the move unassisted.
- *Female competitors have the option to do 3 unassisted pull-ups or 5 banded pull-ups.
- Hand release push-ups
- Hands must lift completely off the ground at the bottom of each push-up.
- At no point during the push-up are the knees allowed to touch the ground.
- The athlete must hold a rigid plank position during the push-up and arms must be fully extended at the top of each push-up.
- The athlete’s feet must remain on the ground and be less than or equal to shoulder width apart.
- The lower body, legs and knees must remain locked, so at the bottom of each push-up, the chest, toes and hands are the only body parts making contact with the floor unless going to a rest position.
- The push-up rep starts from the UP position in a tall rigid plank.
- Air squats
- Competitors must perform a full squat with the upper leg parallel to the floor at the bottom of the squat.
- Athletes must rise to their full standing height, and demonstrate a lockout with both knees on every rep.
- Only completed reps receive credit. If you start a rep but do not complete it, you will receive a no rep and that rep will not count.